Band students to premiere composition
Elementary band students in Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191 have a unique opportunity this spring to perform a musical composition dedicated to them.
The piece, called “Spirits Ablaze,” was created by Dr. Timothy Mahr, a nationally known composer and director of bands at St. Olaf College in Northfield.
He dedicated the composition to “the stalwart young musicians and band parents of ISD 191 (Burnsville-Eagan-Savage, Minnesota) in appreciation of their dedication and perseverance.” The piece will be published nationally, and will always carry this dedication.
Directors have been working with their young musicians on the composition since February. The elementary band directors are Nicholas Ellison at Vista View, Neill and M.W. Savage elementary schools; Sonja Langsjoen at Rahn, Byrne and Sky Oaks elementary schools; Greg Sylvester at Hidden Valley and Sioux Trail elementary schools, and Pam Nordmark at Harriet Bishop and Gideon Pond elementary schools.
The premiere was made possible by donations from all 10 elementary school PTOs who continue to be strong advocates of the band program, adds Ellison.
Upcoming free performances of “Spirits Ablaze” will be:
• William Byrne at 1:45 and 6:30 p.m. on Monday, April 23;
• Rahn at 1:45 and 7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 24;
• Sky Oaks at 2:30 and 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 26;
• Marion W. Savage at 2:30 and 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 26;
• Gideon Pond at 1:30 and 7 p.m. p.m. on Thursday, April 26;
• Edward Neill at 1:30 and 7 p.m. on Monday, April 30;
• Hidden Valley at 2 and 7 p.m. on Monday, April 30;
•Harriet Bishop at 2 and 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 1;
• Vista View at 2:30 and 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 1; and
• Sioux Trail at 1:30 and 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 1.