Cigarette causes Eagan house fire
An Eagan home became engulfed with flames this week after a lit cigarette started a deck on fire.
The Eagan Fire Department was notified at 8 p.m. Oct. 19 of a home fire at the 4700 block of Narvik Dr. after a cigarette was discarded in a flower pot, which caused the deck to catch fire.
When firefighters arrived a few minutes later, the fire had spread to the home’s siding and attic. About 40 firefighters from four Eagan stations fought the blaze for about an hour until extinguishing it at about 9 p.m.
“There was extensive damage, especially to the attic,” said Eagan Fire Chief Mike Scott.
Scott estimated the loss at $75,000.
The four people living in the home were uninjured.
Scott warned residents about discarding cigarettes in flower pots or other improper containers.
Potting soil typically contains peat, which is highly flammable, Scott added.
“Cigarettes have been the number one cause of fires in Eagan in the past two years,” Scott said.
A building at Lemay Lakes Apartments on Eagandale Place started on fire in 2011 because of an improperly discarded cigarette, as did Casper’s Cherokee restaurant on Nicols Road in May.
“If you have someone at your home who smokes, you need a proper container,” Scott said.
Scott recommended that property owners purchase butt cans, which are large cone-shaped ashtrays that prevent wind from re-igniting cigarettes.