After burglaries, police chase leads to arrest

Charges expected soon for second suspect

Several Lakeville robbery victims have received some of their stolen valuables back after an April 5 arrest that was preceded by a police chase and a dramatic, yet temporary, escape by two suspects.

Lakeville police were called at about 4:25 a.m. by a Hamilton Drive homeowner who heard his garage door open and close, investigated and frightened off a black man dressed in black clothing standing next to his vehicle, according to an April 8 Dakota County criminal complaint.

The victim was telling police the male had entered the home and stolen a computer, iPad, cellphone, camera and $175 from his wife’s wallet, while officers received several other burglary reports coming into the department, Chief Tom Vonhof said.

Victims allegedly told police they saw a white male and a black male fleeing the area on foot.

The complaint states that a Lakeville officer responding to the area passed a white Pontiac Grand Prix with a white male driver and black male passenger, and both men stared at the officer before the vehicle suddenly turned and sped away, not stopping when the officer pursued with lights and siren activated.

With the officer close behind, the driver allegedly slammed on the brakes and made a hard turn, nearly crashing into the squad.

While the car was still moving, both occupants bailed out of the vehicle and fled on foot in opposite directions, the complaint said. Vonhof said the vehicle had been stolen.

At around 5:45 a.m., a bus driver contacted police to report that a black male described as a “suspicious person” had came out of the weedy marsh and boarded the bus at the Cedar Avenue park-and-ride.

Police arrested the man, who allegedly first gave a false name but is now identified as Marquis Marvin Mitchell, 19, of Burnsville.

The complaint states police found a small flashlight and “a large amount of cash” on Mitchell and describes him as “uncooperative and belligerent.”

Mitchell allegedly denied any involvement with any burglaries and/or fleeing police, but later admitted he had entered the residence and was confronted by a “white lady” and ran.

The second suspect is in custody on a separate charge, according to Vonhof. He has not yet been charged in this incident.
Vonhof credited the alert bus driver and his officers for their quick thinking.

“It was good work by citizens calling with good descriptions and officers flooding the area,” he said.