Eastview returning to Metrodome

Lightning still has chance for 2nd consecutive soccer title

Eastview's Tony Deziel (left) goes after the ball during the state Class AA boys soccer quarterfinals against Owatonna. Photo by Andy Blenkush
Eastview’s Brett Ladoux (left) goes after the ball during the state Class AA boys soccer quarterfinals against Owatonna. Photo by Andy Blenkush

Eastview needed a little time after Thursday’s state boys soccer tournament game to figure out who scored the Lightning’s winning goal.

Ultimately, the players and coaches decided who scored it didn’t matter as much as the fact it counted.

Eastview defeated Owatonna 2-1 about halfway through the first overtime of a Class AA semifinal game Thursday at Park High School in Cottage Grove. On the play that produced the winning goal, the ball changed direction several times and hit players from both teams before creeping across the Owatonna goal line.

Sam Fluegge started the play with one of his specialties, a long throw-in to the penalty area. From there, senior midfielder Jack Teske said, “Jacob Wilson headed it over, I got my foot on it, and it looked like their keeper couldn’t hold on to it.

“All I know is, we’re going back to the dome, and that’s what we wanted most.”

After reconstructing the play, it was decided that Teske was the last Eastview player to touch the ball. Officials ruled it an own goal as Owatonna goalie Carter McCauley appeared to get his hands on the ball, only to have it squirt away and cross the goal line.

Eastview’s scorebook likely will list Teske as scoring the game-winner. That would give him two consecutive game-deciding goals; he scored with about six minutes to play in the Lightning’s 3-2 victory over Eagan in the Section 3AA final.

Scoring game-winning goals is “the kind of thing you hope will happen to you,” Teske said, “but that could have happened to any of us and I’d be just as happy.”

The third-seeded Lightning (14-3-1) advances to the Class AA semifinals against No. 2 seed Edina (15-2-3) at 6 p.m. Monday at the Metrodome. Edina beat Elk River 1-0 in a quarterfinal game Thursday at Park High School. The winner faces Andover or North St. Paul in the championship game at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 31, also at the Metrodome.

Eastview is looking for its third consecutive trip to the state championship game and a second consecutive Class AA title.

Owatonna jumped in front on a penalty kick less than 15 minutes into the game.

Eastview pressed for the tying goal and got it with 15 minutes, 35 seconds remaining when Pierce Erickson headed the ball toward the goalpost and Mubarik Hassan tapped it in.

“The effort was there, but we could have played better,” Eastview coach Scott Gustafson said. “We didn’t make some plays that we should have, but the biggest thing is we got through this game.”

Owatonna sophomore forward Jared Santibanez gave the Lightning problems with his speed and skill, although Eastview was able to keep him from scoring. The Huskies (15-2-2) played four South Suburban Conference teams during the regular season, winning two games and tying two. Owatonna defeated Apple Valley, a team that split two games against Eastview this season.

Minneapolis Southwest, the tournament’s No. 1 seed, lost to Andover 2-1 in a quarterfinal game Thursday at Chisago Lakes High School.