Subzero temperatures caused water pipes to burst in two buildings in Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191 recently.
At Diamondhead Education Center, 200 W. Burnsville Parkway, a pipe burst around 4 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 7, resulting, in a substantial amount of water spreading on the main level of the west side of the building and leaking through to the lower level.
Areas affected include the dance studio, a meeting room and offices on the main level along with four classrooms in the Early Childhood Special Education portion of the building. ECSE will remain open, but some students will be learning in new locations.
Downstairs, affected areas include Community Education’s Adult Basic Education classrooms, the Burnsville Senior Center and various offices.
As a result, ABE classes have been canceled this week. Also canceled are all Community Education enrichment classes held at Diamondhead.
Cleanup is now taking place, which may include replacement of carpet and drywall in some areas, according to Glenn Simon, director of operations and properties.
At Eagle Ridge Junior High in Savage, a pipe burst Sunday night in the lower level boiler room, which resulted in water flowing to the nearby gym. Physical education classes will be relocated to other parts of the building until the gym is back in service, according to Principal Don Leake.